Every year, over four hundred thousand of students from around the world choose Canada as their favorite country to study. The three main reasons are:

  • Canada’s high academic standard.
  • Canada’s diverse and non-discriminatory society.
  • Canada’s society is very safe.


If the program of study will be longer than 6 months, international students need to receive a student permit to be allowed to study in Canada. Applying for a student permit is not as easy as some may think. International students must explain their reasons for wanting to study in Canada and prove to the Canadian immigration officer that they will respect the immigration laws. If you need help in preparing your student permit application, make sure to contact us to get assistance from our immigration consultant.


The Canadian educational system offers a wide variety of choices for international students. Here are a few examples of post-secondary studies in Canada:

  • Universities that offer bachelor’s, masters and PhD
  • Colleges that offer certifications in trades.
  • Colleges that issue degrees that are usually two years’ long.
  • Colleges that offer diplomas and co-op programs.

How to choose the right program of study?

This will depend on your goals and your budget. While Canada’s overall tuition fees are much lower than in the Unites States of America, international students still need to pay a relevant amount of money to attend post-secondary education. Talking with an experienced educational agent is a good way get more information on the different program fees and conditions. Talking to an immigration consultant is an excellent way to decide which type of education can help you reach your goals. Many international students decide to immigrate to Canada after graduation, once they acquire enough work experience to do so.


Can international students work and study?
Yes, when studying a program that is not English or French as a second language, international students can work up to 20 hours a week while studying and full time when they have a break, in between semesters.

In some cases, international students can work full time when there is a co-op component in their studies.
When international students graduate, they often qualify for a post-graduation work permit. This work permit will last for the same duration than their studies for up to three years. It is important to verify with the institution if they qualify for this program. You can also do so at this link by searching for the school name.


Can the spouse or common law partner of an international student work?

Yes, the spouse or common law partner of a student will also have access to an open work permit for the duration of the studies and, depending the case, will often be eligible for a work permit after graduation as well. This helps many families support one another when living in Canada.


Can the children of an international student study?

Yes, the dependent children of an international student can receive student permits to study at all levels of education until they reach 22 years of age. Once they reach this age, they will need to apply for a student permit on their own as they are no longer considered dependents.


If you are interested in studying in Canada and need help to choose the right program and to apply for your student permit, book an appointment with our regulated immigration consultant to review all the details of your case and start your application.